Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Doctor's Advice

Generally speaking I will listen to a Doctor's advice and follow the prescribed plan. Sometimes I get home after an appointment and I want to kick myself because I didn't ask the questions or present the problems as I had originally planned...

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my regular doctor to discuss the "PAIN" Situation and the annoying "pins and needles" in my fingers and hands that I experience on a daily basis.

When he first came into the room he stated that I should be making and keeping my appointments with the Chiropractor. I explained that I have been going and my lower back feels better. It is, however, not helping my neck pain or the pins in needles. I further explained that the sessions with the Chiropractor have resulted in worse pain in my neck accompanied with headaches.

He frowned.

I glared.

He said "Well, I could prescribe some more anti-inflammatories."

I said "No. I don't want any more pills, which only mask the problem. I want to know the extent of the damage in my neck and I want it fixed."

He said "What do you want done."

I said, "Well, don't you think it would be a good idea to see what is going on with the nerves in my neck and to see if there is additional damage to the disks in my neck?"

He said, "If I prescribe and MRI the next step is surgery."

I said "No. I think we need to find out what is wrong and then determine what the next course of action is."

We went round and round for a while and then he consented to get authorization from the insurance company for the MRI.

I then said "While we are here; let's talk about my knees..." :)

He says "What's wrong with your knees?"

I said "The same thing that has been wrong with them for the past 20 years." I then reminded him of the previous conversations we had had which included the types of surgeries I have had on my right knee. I also reminded him that I have suffered the same injury to the left knee and was supposed to have surgery and did not because I had lost my job and had no insurance...

Well, he finally consented to have those looked at too.

My goodness! The first time I actually speak up he wants to give me a hard time!!!! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think doctors are used to just pushing people around. Perhaps when they ask, "Do you have any questions?" it is rhetorical. :) Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

Trillium said...

sssppppllllbbbbttttt! That's what I think about all of the doctors I have ever had.

Katscratchme said...

I'm surprised your doc put up such a fight. The last time I pushed my doctor, he caved in like a house of cards. It was a bit disappointing, actually. I was ready for a fight. :P

Of course, he moved so I have to find a different doctor to bully.

Rebecca's Oasis said...

i have an mri scheduled for tomorrow afternoon :)

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...