In the past, the final weekend of the fair would have been my biggest entry day. With the lack of sleep Friday morning and the late night Friday night I could not bring myself to crawl out of bed and cut all the fresh flowers in my yard and get to the fair grounds before 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.
Floriculture entries are my best entries every year and I usually get blue ribbons and $ premium awards. Even with that knowledge I still could not get out of bed.
However, there are still two entrants that I have not spotlighted. Myself and Alex.
ALEX - KICKING AND SCREAMING
Alex has been disappointed every year that he has not been a part of the Gonzales Family frenzy before the fair. This year I made a point to have him participate. He was not happy in the beginning and grumbled the whole 12 hours we spent in the kitchen baking. He entered 8 baked items and two craft items:
- Toffee cookies - 2nd place - red ribbon
- Pecan Pie - 1st place - blue ribbon - THIS IS FANTASTIC! Especially for a non-baker
- Pumpkin Pie - 1st place - blue ribbon
- Zucchini Bread - 1st place - blue ribbon & BEST OF CLASS!! HOLY COW!!!! Who knew?!?!?!
- Oatmeal cookies - 2nd place - red ribbon
- Rice Krispie treats - 1st place - blue ribbon
- Peanut Butter cookies - 2nd place - red ribbon
- Chocolate Brownie bites - 1st place - blue ribbon
63% of his entries were outstanding and the two hardest recipies he did the best on.
Alex was astonished. Victor and I were very proud of him.
both from scout camp
- Weaved basket - 2nd place - red ribbon
- Weaved chair seat - 3rd place - white ribbon