Monday, August 17, 2009

THE FAIR HAS COME AND GONE

Well the last day of the fair was yesterday.

In the past, the final weekend of the fair would have been my biggest entry day. With the lack of sleep Friday morning and the late night Friday night I could not bring myself to crawl out of bed and cut all the fresh flowers in my yard and get to the fair grounds before 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

Floriculture entries are my best entries every year and I usually get blue ribbons and $ premium awards. Even with that knowledge I still could not get out of bed.

However, there are still two entrants that I have not spotlighted. Myself and Alex.

ALEX - KICKING AND SCREAMING

Alex has been disappointed every year that he has not been a part of the Gonzales Family frenzy before the fair. This year I made a point to have him participate. He was not happy in the beginning and grumbled the whole 12 hours we spent in the kitchen baking. He entered 8 baked items and two craft items:

BAKED ITEMS:

  • Toffee cookies - 2nd place - red ribbon
  • Pecan Pie - 1st place - blue ribbon - THIS IS FANTASTIC! Especially for a non-baker
  • Pumpkin Pie - 1st place - blue ribbon
  • Zucchini Bread - 1st place - blue ribbon & BEST OF CLASS!! HOLY COW!!!! Who knew?!?!?!
  • Oatmeal cookies - 2nd place - red ribbon
  • Rice Krispie treats - 1st place - blue ribbon
  • Peanut Butter cookies - 2nd place - red ribbon
  • Chocolate Brownie bites - 1st place - blue ribbon

63% of his entries were outstanding and the two hardest recipies he did the best on.

Alex was astonished. Victor and I were very proud of him.

CRAFT ITEMS:

both from scout camp

  • Weaved basket - 2nd place - red ribbon
  • Weaved chair seat - 3rd place - white ribbon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Alex! You have a family of bakers. You guys should seriously open up a restaurant.
So, are you going to post what you submitted???

Rebecca's Oasis said...

Victor and I have talked about opening a restaurant and have also talked about opening a bakery... maybe some day.

We picked up everything from the fair grounds yesterday and we are going to take pictures and then post them. We have to wait until Alex gets back from Reno (he is visiting his grandmother).

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...