Tuesday, September 8, 2009


As you know, Evan turned 14 September 1st. The first day of High School was last week on his birthday.

1st Day of Seminary was this morning.

I have grown accustomed to sleeping in until 6:30 a.m. and getting the kids up at that time.

Last night I set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. The alarm went off this morning and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I quickly hopped out of bed and reset the alarm for 5:30 a.m.

I didn't really sleep... I just lay there anticipating the next time the alarm would go off. I should have gotten up at 5:00...

The alarm goes off at 5:30 and I quickly get up and turn on the hall light and Evan's light and told him that he needed to hustle so that we could leave by 6:00 a.m. to head to the church.

The 30 minutes went by way too quickly and my morning routine was interrupted by my husband who seemed to be at all the wrong places... He was still in bed when I needed to make the bed; he was at the sink brushing his teeth when I needed to be brushing my teeth; he moved around the bed so slowly when I need to get my shoes out of the closet. I was ready to tackle him just to get him out of the way. I ultimately snapped at him about his obvious and annoying interruptions to my usually smooth sailing mornings.

His response: "I have to get ready for work too." I said: "Well, you could have at least made the bed. You were the last one in it." No response...

I also had to get the girls up before Evan and I left so that we could have family prayer. Everyone with droopy eyes made it to the living room 2 minutes before 6:00 a.m. Victor asked Aislyn to offer the prayer. Evan and I raced out the front door and I drove like a maniac to the Gonzales Building. I think Evan was a couple of minutes late to his first day of seminary... :(

I sat in the parking lot doing my Spanish homework and was finally calm when Evan and the rest of the seminary students filed out the front doors. I raced back towards our house with Evan and two other Rio Mesa highschoolers and dropped them off at the house - leaving them to walk to school (I chose to take a different route to work since Central was completely clogged with students in their cars trying to get into the high school parking lot).

It is now lunch time and I am ready to fall asleep. I have consumed 1/2 of a mountain dew and am still droopy... :(

I guess after a week or two I won't notice how tired I am... I think tomorrow morning I will get up at 5:00 a.m. so that we aren't so rushed and I won't snap at my husband... :)


Anonymous said...

Ah, I remember my seminary days...You sitting in the car reminded me of Dad sitting in the car while he waited for us to come out. I LOVED seminary, and I hope Evan does too! I think some of my best years of spirituality were during seminary, because of the constant spiritual focus. I often wish I could have seminary again early in the morning!

Trillium said...

My dad, in his later years, drove the carpool for seminary even though he had neither kids nor grandkids in that seminary class. He sat in the back of the classroom (rather than in the car--Minnesota, you know, has 40-below-winters during seminary days) and listened to the lesson. He loved seminary, too.

Rebecca said...

i loved seminary. My favorite year was Book of Mormon. That is what they are studying this year.

I have had opportunity to substitute for seminary. Maybe someday I will be asked to teach regularly.