Tuesday, October 20, 2009

FIRST CONCERT IN 25 YEARS

Well, I have been participating in the Ventura College Symphany Orchestra since the end of August. I am not as good a music student as I was in High School - I do not practice as I should.

I have assigned myself the last chair in the Clarinet Section and have enjoyed not being in the lime light. The conductor/instructor does notice when I am not there (I missed a few rehearsals) and makes a point to come speak with me when I enter the music room.

I have told myself that I need to practice a little more if I truly want to become the principal clarinet. The principal in our section has heard me play and has told the conductor that I am rather good. :) Because I know my potential (and I am no where near it) I shy away from the compliments.

Truth be known: I really want to be the principal clarinet and have been a little sad that I don't play as much because the solos go to the principal. In addition to the desire, I know that the seat is earned and that I really have to practice to get back to the skill level that I had been at as a sophomore in high school.

With that said; we have our first concert this Saturday. I am both excited and nervous. I'm excited because we are performing and my children will be able to attend a concert for the first time. Where I am sitting they will be able to see me. :)

I am nervous because I have not practiced as I should and I am weak in my performance with one of the mendellsohn pieces; Symphany No. 4.

Since I plan to continue to pursue my musical career I guess I should devote some more time to musical study at home.

I wish you all could be here for the concert. We sound pretty good! :)

4 comments:

Katscratchme said...

Yay! You're worlds ahead of me.. :) Good luck on the concert!

Jen said...

Kilroy was here.

Trillium said...

...the clarinet, the clarinet goes doodly-doo, doodly-doo ... have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! Good luck!
Jeremy used to play in the college orchestra, and I got to hear him play with them a couple of times. Like you, he wishes he could put more time and effort into it, but life doesn't always cooperate!
I love the sound of the clarinet. You will have to play something when you come up!

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...