Wednesday, January 13, 2010

WHAT?

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.



Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)


I hope this quote was taken out of context.  Why would you do anything if not to do it well?

Does anyone know why Gilbert Chesterton said this?

Personally, if I am going to commit time and effort to something I am going to do the best that I can.  Why waste the time and energy on doing something poorly?

I am quite certain that Heavenly Father expects us to pursue our endeavors with confidence; strength of character and with a desire to do it well.  I believe the expectation is to pursue excellence.  Whatever we chose to do it should bring joy and happiness to others.  I don't ever remember him saying that we should do things badly; halfway or with contempt or disdain.  This would just breed disappointment and sorrow.

That's my opinion.  What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps he means if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing it, even if you don't do it perfectly. It's better than not doing it at all. :)

Rebecca's Oasis said...

maybe... Hey! are you the only one reading my blog these days?

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...