Monday, July 27, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL

Well, I have finally decided that it is time to go back to school. I have general studies that are required for me to graduate, however, I have felt the need to brush up on my music skills.

I am taking a beginning orchestra for winds on Monday evenings and taking a beginning guitar on Thursdays.

I am also brushing up on my Spanish skills by taking Spanish 01 on Tuesdays and Thursday.

Victor has decided that he also is going back to school and is taking the beginning guitar with me.

I already own a guitar that I had restrung about a year ago. Victor, had to purchase a guitar.

We picked up his new guitar Thursday night. He and I spent some time learning how to tune our guitars. Victor broke his first string. I laughed... He didn't think it was funny. I told him that he was going the wrong way when he was tuning and that he was going to break the string.

I had my guitar tuned in short time. It took Victor a long time and eventually he began to understand the difference between sharp and flat sounds.

Can I tell you that it is extremely difficult to explain musical terms to someone who has never read music before? It is doubly difficult when the person is stubborn and wants to do it on his own...

I'm glad I am not the instructor... :)

Any way, this will be a fun adventure. We begin classes August 17th.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!that sounds like a lot of fun! I have been wanting to go back to school for a long time. Some day...

Trillium said...

It's interesting to me that taking a class is how most of us generally learn how to do new things in our culture. The "learn by doing" mentality seems to be a thing of the past. Of course, taking a class (if the instructor is really good) may help us to learn things faster than the "hit and miss" method of learn by doing. So, have fun on your learning adventures!

Katscratchme said...

I, myself, like the learn by doing, Mom.
Reading music however isn't a learn by doing... that would be like trying to learn a new language without ever hearing it... or knowing how to read.

I'd like to learn to read music. I know a tiny bit but not enough to be confident in it.

Rebecca's Oasis said...

Victor is definitely the learning by doing type.

He won't even listen to someone who has learned the hard way - hence the broken guitar string.

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...