Friday, January 8, 2010

WHAT IS YOUR TREASURE?

"He who loses wealth loses much; he who loses a friend loses more; but he that loses his courage loses all."


 - Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

When I read this quote today a reflected on the many past events in my life.  Events that have shaped who I am and what I value most.  Those things are my treasures.

In the past 15 years I have experienced the joy of life; the sorrow of life lost; prosperity and abundance; loss of material possessions and jobs; and many other normal day to day events. 

Yet during those 15 years I also experienced the awakening moments of the birth of each child; the baptism of my husband; the blessed sealing ordinances in the temple and the prospect of losing my husband to illness.  These awaking moments of helped me to understand what is truly important to me and that is my family.  I would not be who I am without my husband or my children.  In the eternal scheme of things none of us are complete without our families.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter what life throws at us our perspective should remain on the ultimate goal and that is the blessing of eternal life with our families.  If we end up like Job without nothing and we have arrived there never waivering from our trust and belief in God and Jesus Christ we will have everything.

Miguel de Cervantes almost had it right.  It is true that we lose much when material possessions are lost and we have lost even more when we lose a friend.  We lose a great deal more when we lose sight of our goal of eternal families and have lost faith in Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness.

I hope that part of your New Year's Resolution was to improve your relationships within your families and to learn to love one another more deeply and learn to value what great treasures each of your children; siblings; parents and spouses are. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the uplifting message! Our most important possessions are our families.
P.S. Happy anniversary in a couple of days! And Happy Birthday, too!

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...