Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Beneath The Trees



For one bright year, it was just me and thee
Playing beneath the apple and pear trees.
Along came another so bright and fair
Teary,  glassy, blue eyes and dark brown hair.
Little mothers to be beneath the trees
Learning to love, nurture, snuggle and tease.
Another year together, me and thee
Playing beneath the apple and pear trees.


Seasons and places change for me and thee
We still find time to play beneath the trees.
Picking each peach and plum found at our feet
Washing, slicing, so sugar sweet to eat.
What once was three becomes four and then five
Our little home, buzzing like a beehive.
Another year together, me and thee
Playing beneath old deciduous trees.


Yet time moves on beneath all ancient trees
Who lonely, wish to be near me and thee.
Ancient, the black walnut rests on the hill
Swaying and bending with each little shrill.
The rope drawn taught as we clung to the tires
Our gangly legs reached higher and higher.
What once was five becomes six and seven
Two precious spirits from spires of heaven.


For many years it was just me and thee
Dancing and playing beneath the palm trees.
They stretched high above us touching blue skies
Until I found him gazing in your eyes.
We witnessed vows born of a love divine
Both your hands' commingling and intertwined.
One last moment it was just me and thee
Before you left me beneath a lone tree.


Years passed without the company of thee
I think of you beneath my citrus trees.
Alone, you raised your four and I my three
Who played and laughed beneath our separate trees.
Again time moves on beneath the ancient trees
Who lonely, wish to be near me and thee.
Another day will pass for me and thee
One standing, one sleeping beneath the trees.


No comments:

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...