Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Prose Poetry - Pain

The pain woke me far too early. 4:00 a.m. maybe. Tears welled up; not because of the pain, but for what the pain meant. Struggling, I finally slip out of bed; pushing past pain. The wheelchair in the corner with outstretched arms waiting for me to accept his embrace. “Not today,” I said. “Perhaps tomorrow; for I have too much to do today.”

I cried again in the shower - because I was alone.  Showers are perfect places to sob and so I did.  I took my time selecting my clothes, styling my hair and applying my make-up.  It was important for me to feel pretty and pretend that everything was okay.

Weak and shaky, I will make it through today; on my own; like I have been doing all along.

As I walked out the front door I turned to the corner and said: "Mr. Blue, my wheelchair; you will just have to wait, I’m not ready. Ask me tomorrow."  I can almost guarantee I won't give in to the pain or that beautiful blue wheelchair.

No comments:

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...