Monday, March 30, 2020

UNREQUITED


UNREQUITED


If it exists; it remains out of reach.
Dodging, twisting, racing, shrinking away
I had it once upon a time - true love.
Or so I thought - ripping, shredding, tearing
It left me - completely.  Alone in the dark.


Believing once of Faith, Hope, Charity, Love
Virtues often lauded within sacred text.
A knight in shining armor - no, mercenary
With twin rapiers strapped across his back
My virtues stripped and laid bare - sprawling - lifeless -
Left for dead.


Stretched across the un-sodden earth;
Naked
Ashamed
Alone
And he with his unsheathed, 
bloody rapiers; thrusting; carving away pieces
Taking what he owned.
Festering - fibrous cancer - all that remains
Broken - battered - beaten - barren - betrayed.


Faith: belief or trust in the unseen -
 trusting love exists.
Without my shade - the rapier’s senseless sacrifice -
My compass lost -
True love out of reach - the rapier’s cost.


Broken; soul to soul, I heard your voice - a plea
An echo of my own - kindred spirit - unknown
A seed planted - kindness sprouted
An echo back to me.
What was it that you said?  Or was it how you said it?
Feelings long buried sprung up - reaching - grasping
Rootless - shriveling away.


Oh troubled heart - not free to love another
Tethered to lovelessness - longing to break free.


My soul, trapped in its cage of bones
Fingers clasped tightly - ribs aching, cracking.
Lungs restricted; labored breathing - shaking.
You looked at me - my heart leaping from sorrow into hope
dragged back down
The pit - so dark - so isolated - lost - alone.


You draw near - I hear the ebb and flow of your breath
Your warm embrace imagined; my head resting on your chest.
You speak - I watch - curious - lips; are they soft?
Your tenderness; your caress - my broken heart - beating.


I sit staring at the rapiers on the wall - sheathed -
There they remain.
Afraid to pass them and cross the threshold
To the freedom and release; 
out there; somewhere.


You, the beacon, in the darkness, leading me,
Beaconing me - shackled where I stand
And you - out of reach.
Imagined - your touch, your caress, your embrace.
Iron chains; in your place
And you - unaware.
Holding my shade.


So with the dagger drawn from between my breasts
With a single cut - I remove the pain - 
 rising away on ethereal wings;
Yet, you remain.
Another cut - fueled passion; flames and dies - 
ash and cinder scattered across the night skies.
Yet, you remain.
Once more - grasping;  your lips and hands out of reach - 
cherry blossoms flung away
Yet, you remain.
Cold, unyielding steel against my flesh
A sigh escapes my untouched lips - a whispered “please”  
Acquiesced, relinquished life.
Still, you remain.


I marvel at the gaping wounds, where flesh and sinew meet
Crimson beads, slowly rising
Tears flowing - washing - welling up
Love’s well-spring overflowing;
You remain.


You, my soulmate - never knowing;
Cradling my shade.


I retrace each cut a little deeper -
 a little longer - stinging.  Hoping to cut it all away.
Pressed against the skin - I drive the silver blade - leaving its white shadow.
Releasing; lifting - flesh falling away - beautiful scarlet lines revealed -
All that remains.
Muscles contracting and veins weeping
Through blinding tears I see.


You remain:
 Forbidden, unrequited, my love.
My Shade.







No comments:

Beauty Emerges From The Darkness

I have been pondering upon the things that I have heard, seen, and felt over the past several months, weeks, and specifically during the pa...